Pages

Friday 19 July 2013

My new(ish) bike!



I Need To Do More Exercise, So....

Well, there it is... I received a handy sum of money for my birthday back in April, and it's been safely ensconced in an envelope marked "Bike Fund" for the last couple of months, and then finally, the weather was right, no more excuses or delays, I rushed out and got myself an eBay super-bargain - as long as you don't count the van hire and petrol to collect it from Bristol, a round trip of some 350 miles... Because frankly I could have bought a new one for less - but where's the fun in that?

Since buying, I've realised I am not a good eBay buyer... I didn't ask about anything, I just knew I needed a bike and I was gonna buy one today... I arrived, said "hi", piled the bike into the van and drove off without more than a cursory glance at the thing. Unfortunately it's not actually as mint as it looked in the photo - there's some rust, and some wear and tear, the tyre valves look like they have been mucked about with, yep, I could have bought a new one for less - but where's the fun in that?

I definitely had to replace the saddle for something, how shall I put it, a little more capacious! I also noticed one of the pedals looked a bit knacked, and yesterday it decided to give up the ghost, so I've got a new, larger pair of those installed now too. I've only had the bike one week and I've realised I'm going to need a water bottle cage - wow... I could have bought a new one for less - but where's the fun in that?

I've managed to get as far as the seafront and back, although even the new and improved (huge) saddle can't claim to be exactly comfortable, and my legs we're trembling in shock for the rest of the day... It sounds like hard work, but actually, I've got a sneaking suspicion that there's a lot of fun to be had in this!